As the appetite to shop locally and support local businesses grows, we’re taking part in the first-ever Made in UK Day, today, Tuesday 9 March 2021.
UK manufacturing is currently worth £192 billion to the UK economy and employs 2.7 million people. More than 65 million people live in the UK and if everyone bought just one item made in the UK worth £20 on Made in UK Day it would be worth £1.3billion.
Glencroft make about 90% of our products in Great Britain, in local Yorkshire and Lancashire mills and factories as well as using other material and product manufacturers across the country. Many suppliers we’ve worked with for over 30 years. (the remaining 10% of our range – gloves and some slippers – is made in Europe by trusted and responsible suppliers). We clearly indicate on our website where each product is made.
Read more about how some our UK products are made in these following blog posts:
- How we make Glencroft sheepskin bobble hats
- How the British Wool for our knitwear is processed
- How we hand finish our British sheepskin rugs
- How Glencroft tweed hats are made
- How our sheepskin rugs are tanned in the UK
By purchasing from UK-made businesses like us you are helping to:
Lower your carbon footprint
Buying products made closer to home means you can significantly reduce the number of miles something has travelled. In turn, this reduces its carbon footprint.
UK-made products are often made in much smaller quantities, too. Many can be made to order, discouraging waste within the supply chain.
Save essential skills
Manufacturing requires skill. Not everyone suits working in a service-based industry. By purchasing a product that is made in the UK you are helping to save skills within local communities. Skills that would otherwise be lost.
Create job opportunities
2.7 million people work within manufacturing in the United Kingdom. When you buy a product that is made in the UK you are directly contributing to keeping someone in employment.
Promote UK craftsmanship
When you buy a product that is made in the UK you are helping to preserve craftsmanship that has been passed down through generations.
Boost local economies
Buying locally-made directly contributes to your local economy.
Spend your money wisely and help contribute directly towards the area in which you live.
Preserve UK manufacturing
If everyone living in the United Kingdom bought just one item made in the UK worth £20 on Made in UK Day it would be worth £1.3bn!
Spend your money wisely and help UK manufacturing to thrive.
How to get involved in Made in UK Day
You can get involved in the campaign too by pledging to buy something that is made in the UK on 9 March and share your pictures on social media using the hashtag #madeinukday